Smoked salmon is one of the most widely enjoyed foods. And you can prepare and enjoy it in many different ways. Whether you eat it grilled, or smoked, it will satisfy your palate. There is nothing new in learning how to smoke salmon in an electric smoker, as it’s a slow cooking method that is incredibly simple if you have a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker.
And with some information and a few simple tips, even beginners will be able to smoke salmon in an electric smoker perfectly!
What Type of Salmon is Best for Smoking?
Before you smoke salmon in an electric smoker, you must know that salmon comes in a variety of styles:
- Farm-Raised – The fat content makes it great for smoking as it makes very tender and juicy salmon. Common varieties are Columbia River King and Atlantic salmon.
- Wild/Line Caught – Grilling and smoking these salmon is fast and easy. Wild-caught meat will have less fat and cook more quickly if you smoke it. The biggest reason why people prefer wild salmon is its flavor. Common varieties are Columbia River King, Copper River, Sockeye, and others.
- Fresh Salmon – Always choose fresh salmon. When buying a whole fish, check its eyes and smell it. And buy when you have confirmed it’s fresh!
How to Smoke Salmon in a Smoker?
You can smoke the salmon in a couple of ways in whatever Smoker you want. However, you can smoke salmon in an electric smoker using two methods; Cold Smoked Salmon method or the Hot Smoked Salmon method.
- Cold Smoked Salmon in an Electric Smoker: In order to make cold smoked salmon, salmon is cured and then cooked at shallow temperatures. It is cured in salt for 24 to 48 hours and smoked at a lower temperature, usually around 80 F, for 6 to 12 hours.
As cold-smoked salmon doesn’t keep as long and isn’t quite as versatile, most people prefer hot smoked salmon.
- Hot Smoked Salmon in an Electric Smoker: With hot smoking, you can quickly cook huge cuts to perfection. Thus, at 180 degrees F or above, you can easily cook Hot smoked salmon.
In addition to its safety and taste, hot smoked salmon is easier to incorporate into other recipes since it’s easier to reheat.
However, neither process is hard. So, we have gathered both the hot and cold smoked salmon in an electric smoker recipe. Choose according to your taste!
Cold Smoked Salmon Recipe
- One whole salmon side
- Extra-virgin olive oil, 7 tsp
- Kosher salt, 4 tsp.
- Crushed red pepper flakes, ½ tsp
- Fresh lemon juice, ¼ cup
- Trimmed green beans, 2 lb.
- Trimmed one bunch of radishes
- Pistachios, coarsely chopped, salted, and roasted, 1 cup
- Black pepper freshly ground.
- The flaky sea salt
- Slices of lemon (for serving)
- Set the oven to 300°F. Rub 2 Tbsp over salmon on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil. Then sprinkle 2 Tbsp black pepper, ¼ tsp salt, and red pepper flakes over salmon.
Place salmon skin-side down and roast until a tester, metal skewer, or thin-bladed knife inserted laterally through salmon flesh meets no resistance, about 20–25 minutes. When the fish is opaque all over, let it cool.
- As the salmon roasts, prepare the salad. Combine lemon juice, oil, 2 tsp salt, and remaining ¼ red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Reserve dressing.
- Place the green beans in batches in a large resealable plastic bag. Then whack the beans with a rolling pin to split the skins and soften the insides without destroying the flesh.
Add the reserved dressing to the bowl. By tossing, you can further break down and coat the beans. Leave it at room temperature for one hour.
- Slice radishes lengthwise. Place the radishes in ice water in a large bowl, cover, and chill until ready to serve (this will allow the prep to be done quickly and keep the radishes crisp).
- Toss radishes with marinated green beans right before serving. Serve salad with pistachios. If needed, season it with pepper. Transfer to a platter, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. That’s it!
- Transfer the salmon with two skewers to another platter, leaving the skin on the baking sheet. Add oil and lemon juice, then sprinkle with sea salt.
You may also serve with Lemony Yogurt Sauce and Grilled Serrano Salsa Verde alongside.
Slowly roasting salmon allows it to stay moist and tender, even when served chilled. Green bean salads are perfect crunchy accompaniments to any meal.
And technique for smashing and marinating the beans softens the texture and flavors them inside and out.
Hot Smoked Salmon in Electric Smoker Recipe
Salmon – 2 pieces, 2 lb each
Brine – Mixture of salt and water along with other ingredients such as -soy sauce, citrus zest, garlic
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika1¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- After mixing the water and salt in a large plastic container, place the fish skin-side up in it. Then put it in the refrigerator for four to eight hours.
- Remove the brine, rinse salmon well with cold water, and then pat dry it.
- Place a drying rack on the baking sheet and place the fish skin side down on it.
- Dry the fish for 8-12 hours in the fridge to form flakes.
- Turn on your smoker and preheat it. 180 degrees Fahrenheit is the optimal temperature. You can start smoking the salmon at 150 F and gradually increase the temperature to 180 F.
- Remove salmon from the fridge. Mix the ingredients in two small bowls to make the sweet and savoury rubs.
- Put the sweet rub on one piece and the garlic dill rub on the other. Place salmon skin-side down on the smoker’s top and smoke for 3-5 hours until the internal temperature reaches 135 – 140° F.
- While the fish is smoking, you can baste it with maple syrup or orange juice. After doing so, enjoy it with your favourite side dishes!
What Goes Well with Smoked Salmon?
Some of the perfect side dishes to serve with this smoked salmon are:
- Extra Crispy Oven-Roasted Potatoes
- Perfectly Fluffy Rice Every Time
- Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Do I Need to Brine Salmon Before Smoking?
Yes, before you smoke salmon in an electric smoker, you must brine it for flavor and moisture. If not, it will be dry and flavorless.
How Long To Smoke Salmon in an Electric Smoker?
Smoking salmon cuts usually takes eight hours at 180 to 190 degrees.
The time it takes for your fish to smoke will depend on its thickness and the smoker’s temperature.
What Temperature to Smoke Salmon in an Electric Smoker?
You should smoke salmon in a Masterbuilt electric smoker between 150-180 degrees Fahrenheit until it reaches an internal temperature of 135-140 degrees Fahrenheit.
How Long to Smoke Salmon at 175?
Two and a half – approximately three hours will be needed for the salmon to smoke completely at 175.
How Long to Smoke Salmon at 250?
It will take 60-90 minutes for the salmon to smoke completely at 250.
How to know when Salmon is Smoked?
When your salmon reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees, it is done cooking.
How to Smoke Salmon without a Smoker?
Using a grill or a cardboard box, you can Smoke Salmon without Smoker.
Can You Freeze Smoked Salmon?
You can freeze the Hot smoked salmon. Freeze portions in zip lock freezer bags, removing as much air as possible.
Defrost it slowly in the refrigerator or in a bowl of water (leaving it in the sealed bag). However, make sure not to defrost it in the microwave.
How Long Does Smoked Salmon Last?
You can typically keep cold smoked salmon in the fridge for about five days after opening it from the grocery store.
However, Hot smoked salmon leftovers usually last up to seven days in the fridge. Ensure that you’ve sealed the leftovers tightly to keep moisture/flavors in.
Is Smoked Salmon in an Electric Smoker Healthy?
Smoked salmon in an electric smoker (or without it) is a rich source of iron, calcium, vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids. So yes, it’s a healthy treat.
What Are the Best Wood Chips to Smoke Salmon in an Electric Smoker?
For smoked salmon in an electric smoker, hardwood chips are the best.
Maple, Hickory, and cherry woods are mixed to make up the Competition Blend – perfect for Smoking Salmon.
With the right electric smoker, you can Master the art of how to Smoke Salmon in an Electric Smoker! And if you are looking for the easy and best Smoked Salmon Recipes, better head to our site’s main page and select your preference.